Monday, March 11, 2013

Praying for the Koreas

Ever since we went to South Korea in 2009 and our brother-in-law Jamie introduced us to the documentary "The Vice Guide to North Korea," I have been intrigued by all things South and North Korea. 

However, other than knowing that North Korea was a dictatorship and South Korea was home to a large U.S. military base where my cousin was once stationed, my knowledge of the Koreas was embarrassingly limited.

But after that 2009 trip, I was hooked--everytime I would see a news article concerning either of the Koreas I stopped and read it; when I heard either mentioned on the news (which was fairly frequently with all the antics of the North), I perked up and listened; I even managed to incorporate the Vice Guide documentary on North Korea into my AP English Literature classroom (just think George Orwell's 1984).

If you have been keeping up with the news the last couple of weeks, you have probably heard quite a bit about North Korea: first, with their nuclear testing violations; then, with Dennis Rodman's much-publicized visit to North Korea where he met dictator Kim Jung Un; and today, with the North's declaration to end to the 1953 armistice that ended the Korean War and a 60 year truce between the North and South.

Granted, North Korea always seems to be threatening something where the United States and South Korea are concerned; however, there is clearly more tension than usual on the Korean peninsula right now, and both countries need to be lifted up in prayer.

So, we ask that as you go about your week, you will keep this situation between South and North Korea in your prayers, along with Briton, of course :).

If you were like me and your knowledge of North and South Korea is limited, I would highly recommend watching the Vice Guide to North Korea videos (http://www.vice.com/the-vice-guide-to-travel/vice-guide-to-north-korea-1-of-3). They are truly eye-opening.

'Pyongyang Scraps Armistice Amid Heightened Saber Rattling'
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/11/world/asia/south-korea-military-exercises/index.html
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-north-korea-armistice-20130312,0,7083664.story

No comments: